Monday, October 19, 2009

JRN 420 Location Lighting Assignment

This project was extremely difficult, and the most problematic so far. I learned, like I heard most people in the class say, that we all need to own the lights we use. I am taking this to heart. I do not own a strobe or any lights. When I went to the Dept. early Friday morning, there were no pockets wizards, no strobes, and no reflectors. Andi was nice enough to let me use the SB-800 she was going to check out, so I had one strobe. I waited around the dept and checked back but there still wasn't anything to check out. I borrowed a lighting kit from a friend that had a few strobe flashes, stands, and an umbrella. I worked with it and think overall I made it work.
Photobucket

Rebecca Crawford, Location Lighting, F 4, Shutter 1/25, ISO 1600.
Dustin Kunkel, 23, takes a break from reorganizing old memorabilia and staring at dust covered panels and outlets to go for a ride. Kunkel, who is a construction worker, checked out the renovations above Coffee Talks 505 in Clare, and finished up his morning observations with some coffee and a cruise in the sunshine.

For this shot I used a light fired from a stand behind the railing at the top of the stairs to the top right, without a snoot or diffuser. I had the light back about 5 feet to let the shadows be a little more harsh from the bike. To light the face I stood above the stairs on the right of the subject and used my left hand to hold the strobe off to the right at 1/16 power.

Photobucket

Rebecca Crawford, Location Lighting, F 5, Shutter 1/50, ISO 1600.
Samantha Taylor, 21, shows off one of her new character looks, just outside of the Broadway Theater in Mount Pleasant. Taylor, who is an acting student at Central Michigan University, is preparing for her upcoming roles on campus by mentally and physically becoming the women she portrays.

For this shot I used a light fired just above eye level on a stand located to the left, with an umbrella to spread the light. To fill the face I used a strobe a few feet from the subject to fill in the shadows on the right and light up the background just a bit.

Setup 1
Photobucket

Setup 2
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. i love these! The shadows behind the guy are really pronounced. they looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The faces are well lit in these pictures. You picked an interesting background for the second one and did it well! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete